Monday, January 16, 2012

Feeling the Love

Yesterday I started working on the wreath that would decorate our front door for the month of February. In honor of Valentine's Day I decided to make a rag wreath in the shape of a heart and after browsing the Internet for inspiration and reading various DIY tutorials I headed off to the local fabric store for supplies.

I came back with an 18" wire wreath form, 1/2 yard of three different fabrics (though I had to go back to the store this morning to purchase an additional 1/4 yard of each because I made my strips a bit too big and ran out) and a pair of pinking shears.

I started by bending the connectors so I could release one of the wire hoops. Once I had the smaller hoop, the one from the inside of the wire wreath form I used my hands to bend it into the shape of a heart.


I then laid out my fabric and using my new pinking shears (to reduce fraying) I cut the fabric from salvage to salvage in 1-1/2" strips then cut those down to 8" pieces.
After I had them all cut out I set about tying them tightly onto the wire heart shape. Be careful not to pull too tightly or you'll rip the fabric in half as I discovered a couple of times. I left the ripped strips tied on and just kept going. You won't notice it once you're all done and have fluffed up the fabric.
Here is the wreath before I tied on a small piece of wire onto it in order to hang it from the door.
TA-DA!! Not bad for my first attempt at a rag wreath, if I do say so myself. I put it up just for a second to see what it would look like and can't wait for it to go back up on February 1st!

No comments: